Poultry operations

Vertical integration

A vertically integrated model means we can better manage the poultry production process from start to finish; this includes breeding and hatching our chickens, producing feed, processing, and supplying fresh poultry and value-added products.

_vertical-intergration Breeding Farms Feedmilling Protein Recovery Plant Hatchery Broiler Growing Farms – Free Range Broiler Growing Farms – Barn Processing Plant Further Processing Plant Value Added Breeding Stock FreshPoultry Feathers & Offal Day 1 Egg Layers Day 1 Broiler Chicks Fertile Eggs Dead Birds

Feedmilling

The chickens we grow are fed a vitamin-rich, well-balanced diet carefully formulated by our expert nutritionists.

We source feed directly from company-owned and trusted contracted feedmills within Australia, so we know exactly what our chickens are being fed.

The feed consists of a number of ingredients including cereal grains such as wheat and sorghum, and protein meals such as soybean meal, supplemented by vitamins, minerals and amino acids to achieve optimum health and well-being.

Breeder farms

We have a number of breeder farms around Australia, including in the Riverina and Tamworth regions of New South Wales, the Barossa region in South Australia, south east Queensland, and north east and south of Perth.

To ensure the overall welfare and enhance the performance of the breeders, feeding, temperature, body weight control, ventilation, lighting and health are monitored closely. The period generally takes place from one day old to 22 weeks.

Once the hens reach 22 weeks, the egg production phase begins, which is ongoing until around 64 weeks of age. During this period, the fertilised eggs are laid continually and collected either by hand or an automated collection system.

Hatcheries

Hatcheries are where the incubation and hatching of eggs takes place. It is a precise and sensitive process. We have hatcheries located in New South Wales, Queensland, Western Australia and South Australia.

Fluctuation in temperature, humidity and airflow can have a significant impact on the effectiveness of the hatching process and the quality of the chick produced. We have control measures in place to ensure that the chicken embryos develop adequately.

At Baiada, we produce three different breeds of chicken and one breed of turkey: the ISA Brown for table eggs, Cobb 500 and Ross 308 for poultry meat, and Hybrid for turkey meat.

A vertically integrated model means we can better manage the poultry production process from start to finish.

Broiler farms

Broiler farms are where chickens are grown for the purpose of producing poultry meat. In order to meet the demand across Australia, we have company-owned and operated farms or independent contract farms, in every mainland state (except Victoria).

They are transported to farms in special climate-controlled vehicles as day old chicks. The welfare of our chickens is a priority and they are raised by passionate farmers until they reach the desired processing age. This is determined by weight specifications, but is generally around 5–8 weeks. Throughout the entire process, our farms are monitored by veterinarians and nutritionists to ensure the wellbeing of our chickens.

Processing

We operate highly automated, technologically advanced processing plants located around Australia, including Beresfield, Tamworth and Hanwood in New South Wales, Adelaide in South Australia, Osborne Park in Western Australia, and Mareeba in Queensland.

At any moment from the time our product leaves the facilities to the time it’s delivered to our customers, we are able to monitor and report on the exact temperature of it.

Our range of chicken and turkey products include primary products, semi-prepared meals and snacks, and ready-to-eat offerings.

Protein recovery

Waste minimisation is a core focus for us. Protein recovery is an important part of our process that plays a major role in providing essential products for a variety of uses.

Approximately 70% of our chickens’ weight is sold as meat products. The remaining 30%, such as the bones, feathers and intestines, are recycled into by-products, such as high protein pet food. This process is known as ‘rendering’. Our eco-friendly, technologically-advanced Oakburn Rendering Plants in Tamworth and Griffith are  some of the best in the country, combining energy efficiency and sustainability.